The 6th Grade program is designed to mirror the wonders leading up to the Bar/Bat Mitzvah year, providing meaningful Jewish engagement before, during, and after your child’s Bar/Bat Mitzvah. Children at this stage are in formation: building character, life skills, and Jewish identity. The curriculum includes:
- Reflection on a big issue impacting our students, our community, and our world.
- J-Lectives (click here for last years sample), which are initiatives that allow students to experience Jewish education beyond the classroom, in fun and meaningful ways with friends and family.
Participation in eight workshops designed with each child’s B’nei Mitzah date in mind:
- Holocaust & Human Rights – Part 1 & 2
Exploring our own Jewish identities, and how we define ourselves in relationship to others and how this affects their “universe of obligation”. Examine historical events of the Holocaust, as well as discover personal stories of individuals living in Nazi Germany in the 1930’s and throughout Europe during World War II.
- Trope Workshop
Refining the necessary skills to lead the Bar/Bat Mitzvah service from the bimah and introduction to Trope, the cantillation used to chant Torah.
- D’var Torah Workshop
Developing a D’var Torah, the speech that each child delivers at Bar/Bat Mitzvah, including an exploration of their Torah portion.
- Lo Ta’amod Initiative – Part 1 & 2
Building an abiding commitment to helping others, understanding root causes of a world in need, and developing a Mitzvah Project that is important not just now, but throughout their lives.
- Hugging and Wrestling with Israel – Part 1 & 2
Discovering the geography, history & culture of our Jewish homeland, along with the complexities of the people and issues of the modern State of Israel.
- 6th Grade students learn in Chevruta in an individualized, online 1:1 weekly format with an educator for 30-minutes per week to engage and develop Hebrew reading skills at their own pace. Individuals begin the year reviewing material from 5th Grade & continue to explore, read, chant and understand new prayers.
- 7th Grade students (and some 6th Grade students with Fall of 7th Grade Bar/Bat Mitzvah) begin weekly 20 minute tutoring sessions at WRT with DAILY PRACTICE. They receive all preparation materials: recordings, prayers, Torah, Haftarah, photo copies and portion booklet.
- Communal prayer experiences on Wednesdays reinforces Chevruta sessions, prepares students to lead their Bar/Bat Mitzvah service, and allows for meaningful prayer and synagogue etiquette.
Programming for the JLL typically begins in the middle to end of September. The schedule for 6th grade is:
Wednesdays, 5:15–7pm and a midweek 30-minute Hebrew tutoring session
Sharing Shabbat: Wednesdays 5:15pm – 7:00pm and Saturdays 10:30am -12:00pm parsha / a midweek 30-minute Hebrew tutoring session