Our 4th grade students explore Hebrew through demonstration and exploration. Using a project-based approach, students discuss and analyze Torah stories, lift-up Jewish values and holidays, and make connections to their own lives.This year (2020 – 2021) students will focus on the Book of Exodus and the Passover Seder considering:
- What does the Exodus from Egypt have to do with me?
- What does freedom mean for me, my community and beyond?
There will be discussions, games, music and arts-based projects, concluding with the creation of a supplement for your Passover Haggadah and an exploration of Shavuot!
Students explore Hebrew through demonstration and exploration. It is immersive, laying the foundation for language acquisition.
- Students experience the language by hearing, watching, and responding to Hebrew commands in our “Hebrew Through Movement” program. Fourth graders build on their foundation from the previous year, adding new words related to Jewish holidays, blessings, and celebrations.
- Classes participate in weekly music curriculum, incorporating Hebrew in traditional and contemporary songs.
- Students engage with prayer services (tefillah) twice a week for 30 minutes and once a week for 60 minutes for Sharing Shabbat; ensuring familiarity with and repetition of our most prevalent prayers.
- 4th Grade begins to explore Hebrew as a written language through creative, hands-on activities.
Family Time at the JLL
The Lab’s goal is to make Hebrew and prayers, as well as synagogue and Jewish vocabulary, accessible to our students and families.
- Each of our weekend programs includes a weekly family service, led by our clergy and educational leadership.
- Special family programs are held throughout the year, including a WRTeam at the Walk to End Alzheimer’s, an off-site apple picking trip, the Sukkah Slam, Shabbat celebrations, and more! See the JLL calendar for details.
Programming for the JLL typically begins in the middle to end of September. The schedule for 4th grade is:
Alef: Sundays, 9–11am and one Weekday TBD, 3:45–5pm
Bet : Sundays, 10:30am–12:30pm and one Weekday TBD, 3:45–5pm
Sharing Shabbat: Saturdays, 9am–12pm and Thursdays, 3:45–5pm